Confused feet...

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ack! I'm getting cold feet everyone :( I'm really torn about performing in a couple of weeks.

In Atlanta, I was also part of a Salsa studio and involved in the performance classes. The biggest difference (because there's quite a few) was that we were assigned a partner from the beginning. The new studio here in Arizona rotates partner for every practice.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy rotating partners because you are exposed to different leads and you learn more about yourself as a follower. Unfortunately, there are some guys that are committed more than others, and as a result, you'll dance with someone who can't finish the routine or might pull your arm OFF in the process.

And now I'm starting to freak out a little. Our performance is in TWO weeks and we have yet to be partnered. There hasn't been any connections made because we constantly change partners! I'm seriously nervous about who they'll pair me up with because it has to be a collaboration. Plus, it doesn't matter how much -I- might know the dance -- in salsa, the female MUST follow the guide. It will be obvious if I back-lead because it'll look like a dance of "catching up." I don't want to back-lead -- that's not dancing.



I think we're going to find out this week (I HOPE!) who our partners will be. I'm seriously considering dropping out of the performance. That's not me at ALL, but there's no confidence when I don't know what our actual performance will look like -- 2 weeks from the day of. There's only 2 guys who know the entire routine and only ONE that can complete it with music.

Would you risk it, even if you knew only one guy could do the entire routine with music?

I wouldn't be so torn if the performance wasn't around the corner. There have been plenty of times in Atlanta when my partner and I had tough spots in our performance and didn't feel ready, but we had worked together from week one. We knew what each other's strengths and weaknesses were after understanding each other's rhythm.

Two weeks might still be plenty of time -- but it all depends on who I get partnered with. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I have the dance down to a tee, buuuut, I'm not the one who's leading it. Poor guys have all the pressure! What if the person I get matched with still hasn't learned it by performance week? Do I make the decision that we can't perform then? So much to think about :( Would love to hear your opinion!

p.s. That photo was taken in Spain from the first Flamenco show I had ever been to. It was mind blowing how something could be SO intense, powerful, and passion-filled coming from one person.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ale Vidal © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger