On being in front of the camera

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Thought I'd share some iphone previews AND my thoughts on being in front of the camera from my shoot last week with Buffy :)

In writing this, I realize I'm not the "norm."  Unlike most people, I get in front of the camera frequently for projects like Outfit Chronicles so my experience is a little skewed.

However.

For most of those projects, it's Jose behind the lens.  So this perspective is when the person isn't a family member or spouse.  Someone you still have to warm up to, which was my case this past week.  I met Buffy Dekmar at the Jose Villa workshop last winter and have been in touch via Facebook.  When she mentioned she was going to be in town this summer, I messaged her about setting up a shoot for Jose and I.  I'm in love with the quality of film and trusted Buffy to do a session of Jose and I.  I definitely connected with her work and was excited to have a more romantic session of Jose and I.

1.  TRUST  -- It is so important to trust and connect with your photographer.  Why?  Because on a NORMAL day-to-day life, people don't just get lovey-dovey in front of a camera.  It's not really natural.  If you trust the person behind the camera, then you can let go and KNOW they will portray you in the best way they can.  If you have hesitations or are self-conscious about something, it's totally okay to express it to your photographer. As a photographer, I prefer if someone tells me something they are uncomfortable with because I'll be much more sensitive to it.  But once you express it -- let it go.

2.  STYLE  -- I will go ahead and admit ... this can be very stressful.  Uggggh.  I can totally see how clients get stressed out about what they're going to wear!  What helped me so much was 2 things.  Picking out my favorite outfits from my Pinterest Board that seemed very "me" and having the styling help of Audree from Simply Audree Kate to find these things in real life!  I was doing two looks: one bridal and one "normal" Jose and Ale look.  Audree and I went shopping for the "Ale" look and it was a huuuge success.  She sent me inspiration photos for Jose's look so I worked my magic as best as possible.

3. Get Your Hair Did  -- Nothing like getting your hair and make up done by a professional to truly feel confident that day.  This was definitely one of my favorite things because I wasn't doing it myself.  I was able to pick a really intricate hair style and know that the stylist would pull it off.  And let me tell you, Leidan Mitchell once again killed it.  The talent is incredible there!

4. Let Go & Laugh  --  I know that sounds cheesy, but I PROMISE if you just let go and tell yourself "I'm going to pretend the photographer isn't there" and TRULY embrace how awesome that photographer is going to make you look, you will have the best time = awesome photos!  Granted it takes two -- the people in front and behind the camera.  Buffy was SO good at directing AND at calling me out!!  Haha, seriously.  I actually learned a lesson from her.  There was a moment when Jose and I were looking at each other and smiling, then Buffy said "Ale, give me a real smile."  And I laughed and said "geez Buffy, calling me out!"  But she was so right!  Pose after pose after pose, your smile can start to look very forced or fake.  When she bluntly called me out, it made me genuinely laugh and be mindful of when I needed to relax my smile.

Another moment that sticks out and why I love my man.  Buffy told Jose to whisper something in my ear that she couldn't hear.  Guess what he whispered?

You smell like cheetos.

Yep.  And I died.  I started laughing so hard because that is exactly what I love about Jose.  Though he should've said "hot cheetos."  :)  Can't wait to see these photos and share them with y'all!

2 comments:

 

Ale Vidal © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger