I talk with my hands

Thursday, April 26, 2012

We made quesadillas and they turned out sooo good.  Jose was back in town, we sat on the couch facing each other -- talking.  Our specialty.  I was recounting the girl's day at the pool on Sunday, highlighted by my delicious cheesy concoction.  Lord knows why I needed to tell him the details of these quesadillas... BUT I DID.  I wanted him to taste them.  On some of them I just put slices of the gouda cheese, slices of tomato, avocado, and sprinkled them with pepper.

Jose bursts out laughing.  "You..." -- he motions his hands twisting a pepper shaker. -- "sprinkled them with pepper?"  The boy was imitating me!  I didn't even realize that as I described this quesadilla... MY HANDS WERE MAKING THEM.  Like, I was literally sprinkling imaginary pepper on my imaginary quesadillas.  And I'm not talking about a one-handed pepper shaker.  I'm talking about the two-handed, twisting pepper shaker.

I sank into the couch, pretending to ignore him.  The extent of my talking hands are out-of-control.  I sighed, surrendering to my habits and gave Jose a face for STILL laughing.  But then I brought my hands to my face, rubbing my cheeks, and tried to hold back the smile that was forming.  Well... that's who you married! 

And, well... that's who I've always been.  Thanks to my upbringing, my experiences, and intrinsic behavior -- I'm destined to be expressive.  I've realized more and more why I can't help myself.  It's because I want people to feel something.  When I talk.  When I shoot.  When I write.  Which brings me to a very known, but very favorite quote of mine:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou 
Goose bumps: the bumps on a person's skin which may involuntary develop when a person is cold or experiences strong emotions such as fear, nostalgia, pleasure, awe, and admiration.  Or as JLo would say -- goosies.  I LOVE THEM.  Because it is there, in that moment, when someone's way of expression has made your body involuntarily respond to an emotion :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ale Vidal © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger