Bellas: Karie Denny

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I believe in life there are 2 different types of eaters.  There are those who eat because it's necessary to live, and then there are those who have an experience with food.  Those who understand cultures through food, who eat for the pleasure of combined flavors, and who have strong memories associated with different foods.

In the same way, I believe there are 2 types of dressers.  Those who dress because it's necessary to be clothed in public, and there are those who dress to portray how they feel that day (sexy, lousy, spunky, calm, sweet, tired, etc.) or to further express the type of person they are (eclectic, trendy, glamorous, elegant, defiant, etc.).  And I realize I'm creating an exaggerated dichotomy.  I know there are a lot of people "in between."  These things are never that black-and-white or simple.  But most people gravitate to (or desire) one or the other.

You get my point.

Why am I bringing this up?  Because Karie used to be one of those people who dressed according to what was available in her closet.  There was no rhyme or reason, it was just simply a top and bottom that her fingers would pull off the hangers.  And there is nothing wrong with that. Absolutely nothing.  However, there is something so exciting and reaffirming when you wear something that makes you confidently feel you.  And I realize that discovering your personal style can be very, very challenging.  Sometimes you HAVE to go through these "what-was-I-thinking" periods to put you closer to "this is ME." 

Karie took the jump.  This is why this shoot is special to me.  Karie has been on this journey of studying her style -- both in her clothes and in her business.  Immediately she began to remove things on her website that didn't reflect her aesthetic.  She began to follow a couple of fashion blogs, not to replicate their style, but to educate herself.  And while she was still trying to discover how to do that with clothing, she knew she was moving forward by making intentional decisions.  At the end of the day it's not about the layers, the sweaters, or the colors -- it was about watching Karie embrace and begin to fully understand who she is

And that -- that is the person I love to photograph.  Regardless of what part of the journey she is at, I just know that a piece of that confidence lingers in her expression and her body movement.  She is who she is and she chooses to love and celebrate that with the world.


Karie had this gold sequin skirt for a long time.  I mean, really, where do you wear such a glamorous, sassy skirt?!  Perhaps Vegas? ;)  And you know.... sometimes you just gotta let out that Vegas girl in you...

Embrace those what-was-I-thinking moments, because it is in those moments that you shift closer to the person you want to celebrate.  The you that no one else can be :)

9 comments:

  1. Karie- you are gorgeous inside and out! And I need to take style lessons from you like ASAP LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO sweet Erin! You and I can go shopping ANYTIME.:) xo

      Delete
  2. Ale - Brilliant! You channel the beauty out of your subjects and into your lens.
    Karie - You are indeed a Bella!! Careful with those eyes - they are powerful! That last shot is all you, I think. A little Mona Lisa, discreet confidence, with the gaze that you give before you get exactly what you want. Yeah, you got that one down. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seth, thank you so much!! I will hold onto those words. I will take a Mona Lisa comparison, any DAY!:)

      Delete
  3. I love it! But when do Field and I get our "Guapo" sessions? :) Awesome photos, awesome model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ale, I have so much to thank you for! I am so thankful that we met and that we are living out our dreams together. It is good to be a dreamer....I know that God placed you in my life to help me grow. In style, business and spirit. Thank you for the beautiful post and thank you for helping me find my style and OWNING it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karie!! I couldn't agree more about God bringing us together. Two dreamers :) I'm honored to be a part of this journey and helping in even the smallest way. I believe SOOO much in you! I really do and am so thankful for our friendship! I love you!

      Delete

 

Ale Vidal © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger