Outfit Chronicles: Feelin' Like a Rebel in Leopard

Monday, May 16, 2011



Thought I'd mix up my Outfit Chronicles a bit.

You know, like sitting on the street..



.. in front of the neighbor's house



... swinging my hair around



It's those heels I tell you. Those lovely, twenty-five dollar, leopard heels.

But seriously -- if you're taking pictures of yourself or someone, try really random things. Use the curb on the street, hop on top of something, or try balancing on something (that makes for quite the interesting poses).




Don't you love the necklace?! I actually based the outfit on that necklace. Thought it needed something a little spunky, so I went with all black.



top: little shop in Honduras, skinny jeans: Charolette Russe, all accessories: F21, shoes: F21

Another neighbor, who we have chatted with on many occasions, was walking his dog right by Jose and I, and I literally kept telling myself "pretend he isn't there, pretend he isn't there." Especially when I could see from the corner of my eye his brisk walk come to a sudden slow pace as he watched us with his dog trying to pull him along.

I used to stop everything when people walked by, too embarrassed to have them watch me model and feel silly about posing on the street while people are clearly watching. But one day I took a deep breath and told Jose to keep shooting. I was afraid I would show the discomfort I wore on my face in the photos, but even if I felt it -- I wanted to push past it so that I would eventually not care at all when people walked by. I'm constantly scared of what people might think or say -- seeing this random photoshoot (and probably recognizing us every week!) -- but I thought this would be a great exercise to stop worrying so much. To think about the artists who push SO far past their comfort zone, careless and free as they create art without self-conscious barriers.



So this is for them. To the neighbors who watch me every week in my crazy poses and random outfits. To the people with the moving truck 15 feet in front of me. Yeah, I'll still blush and feel slightly retarded -- but I'll be back every week. This risk is so tiny compared to everything else I want to do in life, it's quite laughable. And that's what it takes sometimes... putting yourself out there in hopes that it'll be something interesting. Then you try and try again. Plus, you have to make a fool of yourself sometimes. Don't people do that when they're in love? ;)



And it's absolutely worth it :)

3 comments:

  1. And to think I thought leopard print was so outdated...

    ReplyDelete
  2. correction: PEGGY's leopard print is outdated ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. correction: PEGGY's leopard print is outdated ;P

    ReplyDelete

 

Ale Vidal © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger