Spain: San Sebastian II

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What I failed to mention in the first San Sebastian post, is the food fair that HAPPENED to be taking place the day we got there.



Y'all. Here's comes my Paula Deen voice. We L-O-V-E food, and more than that -- food from another country. After a long train ride from Barcelona, and chilly weather mixed with light rain... a food fair was my only saving grace in leaving our hotel room. This fair only happens ONCE a year with dishes represented from ALL over Spain! Perfect!



Wait... did I say perfect?



Maybe not all of it. That's why you see Jose sucking out the meat from that and not ME. I tried it and ... *shivers* ... not my thing. Bread treats on the other hand? YUM!



That's right.. just dunk the WHOLE Octopus in there. My favorite were the meat kabobs. They were SO savory and tender.

The next day we did more strolling around...




Can you tell I love window shots? Spain is so cute.






I mean, this is the most quaint and calm city we visited. Fishing, walking, and surfing. That's what represents San Sebastian to me.






One thing that was difficult with "living" out of hotels were the lack of fruit and vegetables we ate. We couldn't exactly go grocery shopping since we didn't have a fridge. Spain is known for it's tapas which mostly contain some kind of meat and bread. There were a few with veggies, but we had to make it a point to buy some fruit from markets...



As we were nearing the end of our visit to San Sebastian -- Jose wanted to do "something." And by "something" I don't mean read books on the beach. I posted this on my wedding blog a few months ago:

"We opened up the tourist booklet the hotel gave us and scanned some of the options. Surfing? If the water wasn't FREEZING. Kayaking? Phone number is out of service. And then we saw it. I had been skydiving before, but this... this was different. Jose smirked -"Well, we finally found something you haven't done... what do you think?" It was a little pricey, but ... when would we EVER get the chance to fly in Spain?!"



Paragliding. So we walked 35 minutes into the downtown location, where one of the Urruti Sports representatives drove us to Orio (about 40 minutes away). The first day it didn't rain!! But I didn't know we'd have to HIKE an additional 30 minutes to the spot we'd be jumping off from wearing a pack with our gear! I kept hearing "Alejandra, you doing okay?" Ha.



We were actually doing this..



I didn't mention this in my last post because I didn't want people to have a heart attack... but let me go ahead and explain how I almost lost my husband.

Similar to skydiving, you're attached to your instructor. However, instead of jumping out of a PLANE ... you're jumping off a cliff! But the idea is that you'll run towards the end of the cliff but pull the chute BEFORE hitting the end of the cliff so the wind picks you up. Is your heart racing yet?



"When I say run, just start running FAST! Then I will say SIT and we'll be in the sky!" -- yelled Jose's instructor.

I crouched in the back, watching Jose go first. After a few practices, they start to pick up momentum on the run and as the instructor yells "RUN!" he immediately follows it by "STOP! STOP!!!!" He proceeds to pull on the left side of the chute and a cord comes off!! Oh you know, just one of the cords that helps you maneuver the chute in the sky so you don't slam into a cliff.



Granted, there are a number of cords that create tension on the chute -- but there could've been more! Apparently someone hadn't double knotted one of the cords (!!), so he double checked all chutes and all knots.

Jose and I looked at each other from across the field. And we're still doing this? Yep. Right after another prayer!




Here I goooo!!




And in case you didn't watch the video before...



That was San Sebastian. So much for reading on the beach :) Our next stop: Madrid.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ale Vidal © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger